Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Past Is Still Here

Fugazi @ Fort Reno -2000
The kids on my block are practicing for our neighbor's annual summer party called Fete de
la Musique. Everybody that wants to can perform. My daughter is in an all girl rock band covering Pink Floyd and Queen. (Don't ask me- I couldn't tell you.) It's a great thing though to see the old rock holding it's own with the new music- especially among the young.

Plus the concerts at Fort Reno are starting up again, and my son rode his bike up there to check it out for the first time. ( I didn't tell him his parents had taken him more than once to see Fugazi when he was much younger.)

Even Deejays like Cerphe and Weasel are still kicking around this town, though it's somewhat disconcerting to hear Weasel in the morning. I tell my kids I used to be up doing homework and listening to him do his maniacal thing at night on WHFS, our "home grown" radio in Bethesda. Then in the morning, somebody at the station would play "Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35" by Dylan-- ( "Everybody Must Get Stoned...") just when we'd pull into the school parking lot which we thought was both hilarious and bold. Half the time we'd be late going in because we didn't want to get out of the car. That was radio worth listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment