Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Surf Club Blues


Many people around town remember the hoopla when Chick Hall's Surf Club "closed." The Hall family had owned and operated this local honky tonk for generations, and everyone knew things would never be the same. And they are not. But what is a refreshing surprise is that very little has changed- even the name which is now Surf Club Live. The new owners James Byrum, (or JB) and his father, Jim decided to keep Surf Club the continuing haven it has been for local bands. In his relatively short tenure, JB has booked the better known groups such as The Nighthawks, The Slickee Boys, The Grandsons and  Ruthie and The Wranglers as well acts that are still trying to get their foot in the door- any door. Tribute shows, the DC Blues Society and zydeco dances are also all a part of Surf Club Live.

With JB's father minding the door, and Mike Toole, Chick Hall's veteran sound man, still at the helm, the place has a friendly feel and a non-pretentious atmosphere. It is one of the few clubs where all ages can come see live bands, and I am hard pressed to think of a venue of the same size with such good sound and a disco ball to boot.  Due to bureaucratic issues, the Surf Club has had to close its doors for now, but if you care about local venues trumping corporate ventures, please take a moment and drop a line on JB's behalf. 
Help keep the little guys going.

Here's part of a letter JB sent out as he struggles to keep this place alive:

"Many have asked how they could help me. My integrity and business operations are being challenged. If anyone wants to help, this is how you can do so. You can write a letter that I can submit in support of myself and Surf Club Live. Speak freely as to how you feel about me, my personal dealings with you, and what I am trying to do here in support of the community, local musicians, and the local music scene in general. Feel free to make any comments you would like. I’ve tried my best to keep this club going in a terrible economy and against tremendous odds. I have done all I can to support musicians and non-profit organizations such as the DC Blues Society. I have tried to keep this club, which so many you love so much, open and running shows every week. It does not matter if you are a member of an organization, a musician, or a loyal patron, I will submit all the letters I receive as a sign of the support I have within the community.

Please email any letters to jamesbyrum@yahoo.com.

Thank you. Your support means a lot to me during these difficult times.

James Byrum
Surf Club Live"


No comments:

Post a Comment