Saturday, December 25, 2010

All You Need...


I was hanging out with my friend Laura and her twin babies a few days ago, and I asked her what she wanted for Christmas. She replied with her usual sense of humor- a "Silent Night."
She asked me what I wanted, and I said Peace on Earth, or at least in my house- thinking of my own three children. Even though we love 'em, families drive us crazy. Then I started pondering what this whole capitalistic holiday is about, and a Beatles' lyric jumped into my head. "Can't buy me love."

Maybe that's what makes us go nuts around this time of year-the buying part. The "forced" exchange which is so hard to bow out of without feeling akin to Scrooge.

But it doesn't have to be about gifts so much as thoughts and actions. When I heard the trash trucks honking like crazy this past Thursday, unlike most weeks, I was prompted to send my son after them with a bag of cookies.

If nothing else, the holiday season reminds us to do what we should be doing all year long-to be good to one another. To take a moment to celebrate what we have-and to create light in dark corners.

Here's hoping you have much light and love and music in your life, and that you find more of the same in 2011.
Happy Holidays from DC ROCKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment