Thursday, October 25, 2018

E. A. Poe- A True Story


Once upon a time my friend Paul was commissioned to sculpt a bust of Beethoven for a small college in Vermont. He had never shoved anything that big into a kiln before so he made a spare head- just in case Ludvig exploded. Another friend - Bad Bob- lived in Richmond at the time and thought the spare statue should become Edgar Alan Poe, so Paul obliged. Being men, neither thought much beyond that moment. Bad Bob lived in a studio apartment in Richmond, and Paul lived on a farm in Maine so Mister Poe patiently waited in the barnyard for a few years before I came along and admired the abandoned project. To my surprise, the next time Paul came for a visit,  he brought along a two hundred pound house warming present which is how Edgar Alan Poe came to live in Washington, D.C.


Having Poe in my yard does come in handy - especially around this time of year. For instance once Annabell Lee and Poe Junior dropped in which was a definite treat.


Another time a neighbor knocked on my door and asked if I would consider adopting a raven that lived in Pittsburg.  (These things happen when Poe lives in your front yard.) I have to admit I thought about it, but the bird ended up being able to stay with his folks in Pennsylvania.

Ravens are fairly hard to spot around here unless you go to the zoo which is where  Iris the Resident Raven lives and occasionally paints.  I have always liked the aviary there. Back in the day, I thought it was one of the most romantic places to meet someone in town.

Other places to meet up this weekend include a myriad of musical choices. Friday David Goodfriend's newest project the Beverly Brothers will whoop up a happy hour show at JV's, and   King Soul will haunt the Takoma VFW on Saturday.  And all you grown up trick or treaters not visiting Poe can catch The Thrillbillys at JV's on Halloween night.

No comments:

Post a Comment