Thursday, January 15, 2009

Got Plans?


Are you ready For The Big Day? Do you know what your plans are? No? Join the club. As the inuguration of our 44th and most exciting president looms but five days away- two songs keep running through my head-Nirvana's "Come As You Are" and The Temptations "Ball of Confusion"। (Great psychedelic link there.)

It sounds like the whole thing is going to be just insane. You can take the Metro, but you know it will be a complete madhouse- just look at a "normal" rush hour. The governor of Maryland,
Martin O' Malley has asked everybody to take alternate routes and stay off the Beltway on Tuesday. (Stay off the Beltway? I could write an essay on that for "This I Believe") I heard bike riding is encouraged, but bikes are not allowed in the "security zones." (Ball of confused, yet?) And unless you are an awfully big wig, plans are something you're better off NOT making which should be good news for all you non committal man types. On the other hand-remember the day after the election- all the hotels in Washington "sold out? Well, no more. According to today's Washington Express- there are plenty of rooms available.
Plans??
Lyn2 planned all her logistical moves around her house being rented, but now it seems that won't be happening. She wasn't planning to go to a ball... until yesterday when she found out that she probably is. I thought the concert at the Lincoln Memorial sounded like a good bet, but this morning my son told me he heard on the radio that "they" are saying don't go unless you are invited.
Invited???
I checked the official Inaugeration website. Gates open at 8 a.m. (Gates? Remember when there were no stinking gates?) Concert starts at 2:30. (Frostbite should set in around noon.) The good news is you can bring a bag as long as it doesn't exceed 6"X 4"X 8."

"Come, as you are. As you were.
As I want you to be. As a friend.
As a friend. As an old enemy. Take your time.
Hurry up. The choice is yours. Don't be late..."

So that's my plan. What's yours?







4 comments:

  1. It's true that "everything seems to be up in the air" but I do plan to celebrate this thing one way or the other!

    You don't need an invite to Lincoln Memorial but you do for the swearing in on Tuesday. That's what all those rules are about. I am going to the Lincoln Memorial because half a million people seems like nothing compared to 4 million for Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we're glad we're out here in Frederick County -- oral surgery and worries about traffic and parking and general mayhem kept us away from a gig at Quarry House on the big day -- so we are going to sit by the woodstove with our brunch and Prosecco and watch it all on TV...
    If we were actually in town, it would indeed be a ball of confusion for us...
    We will, however, be imagining Lynn at the ball, and smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My plan is to eat soup and watch the midget Jumbo-tron know as my TV.
    Hell..I voted fer the Guy...thats pretty good as far enacting history goes for me.
    I'd hate for my fascination and excitement to sour by feeling like I'm an extra cast member in MARCH OF THE (confused) PENGUINS.
    Hey...here's an idea (!!) ICE CUBE should be the featured act at the Lincoln Memorial.
    New Invention ? Porta Potty masquerading as a backpack.
    But ..*sigh..*
    Backpacks Vorboten.
    Has anyone even seen " A BEAUTIFUL MIND?
    Have the Inaugral Planners?
    Bake Cookies. Kashi-bars laced with Paxil and Ambien.
    Feed The Multitudes. This too could go down in the history oddly repeats itself catagory.
    I shit you not. I look forward with enchanted aplomb.
    MTF

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the river ain't frozen I am headed to Fletcher's Boat House with an outboard motor, a can of gas, lots of coffee and hot chocolate, Coleman propane heaters, sandwiches, binoculars, handheld telescope, whistles, and rent a boat and cruise down the Potomac River and take out at the old Waterfront Music Barge and tie up there and walk to the event from there. I bet nobody is crazy enough to either try or think of that?

    ReplyDelete