Thursday, March 26, 2009

Technology Muse


Stock Wilson, a long time local musician and DC area native, has a lot of stories to tell-like this one which I lifted from his myspace blog. Here's an excerpt:

"I was a motorcycle courier back in the early '70s. If the Washington Post wanted a picture of President Nixon dancing at the Kennedy Center on the front page of tomorrow morning's edition they had to send a guy like me racing through the city to snag a package from a photographer and then racing back to the Post's photo department.
My friend Rob snapped some pics of the band a few hours ago, and before I was back in Falls Church they were sitting in my computer. Actually, they were in my Blackberry so I could have viewed them on I-95.

But about that technology thing?
It was a lot more fun piloting that big BMW around DC, dodging Secret Service agents and getting the packet back to the Post by deadline. The next morning I could look at the front page and know I'd have a story to tell thirty-something years later."

I think he has a point. There is a magic to the internet to be sure, but I'm an incurable nostalgic for old Washington, but at least we can share our stories at will without the burden of a publishing house's judgement.

Stock's in The Loggers, a self described roadhouse band that's been around for roughly an eon. Their next show is Friday at Bangkok Blues in Falls Church- an early one for all you early to bed early to rise types- 7:00 to 9:30.








No comments:

Post a Comment