Monday, June 6, 2011

Play Out This Thursday at Toyland


I am a sucker for old things.. When I was nine or ten, I gravitated towards junk yards and thrift stores. When I grew up, I was digging up music albums from the past rather than listen to what was on the radio. Later in life I dragged my parents all around town making them point out all the places they had lived from Southeast to Northwest- over 20 between the two of them- almost all in DC.
My father was born at home and grew up just off  H Street. When we drove down there, he could point out places long gone like the Kavakos Grill and the Gatsos family's shoe shine shop. Here's a picture of the Gatsos Family.



So that's why I was happy to hear about Toyland- an old H Street variety store turned into a retro- atmospheric bar where you can say clever things like "I'm GAME for a Martini." They have a wide beer selection and plenty of stuff to play with- plus live music now and then.
The Yachtsmen - an original and talented rock trio of mildly insane yet harmless Gilliganic characters will be playing there THIS THURSDAY along with house band The Mavins. Please support local music. It really is all fun and games.



No comments:

Post a Comment