Friday, June 14, 2013

June in Bloom



This year a lot of people think that June 16th is Father's Day, and that may be true, but every year without exception this date means Bloomsday especially in Dublin. Last year I was lucky enough to be in Ireland, but I have to admit I slept late that day, (which adds up to about 700 pages in Ulysses) but I did wake up in time for a Gorgonzola sandwich and a glass of Burgundy at Davy Byrne's. (And I have to admit I enjoyed that more than I enjoyed reading Ulysses.)

Hey!

I can hear the screams of "sacrilege!" from a few devoted readers. And I hear the sigh of "what the hell is she blathering about now?" from others, so let me get to the point.

For all of you looking to celebrate Father's Day, the "Like Your Dad Did" event at the Hamilton is definitely the gig for you. Musical fathers and offspring will be banding together to perform paternally themed tunes including local luminaries like Bill and Owen Danoff, Mike and Georgia Cotter, Jon and Ben Carroll and more. Show starts at 7:30.

For those of you leaning toward things Joycean, join the fray at Politics and Prose for a reading at noon Then the shenanigans go on at James Hoban's Irish Pub on Dupont Circle which has a "Dublin Resurrection" from 2-6 pm featuring 20 (possibly inebriated) volunteer readers with a special lunch and, of course, libations on the menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment