Thursday, June 4, 2015

What is Hip?


I can't be. I don't know what one is. I hear the word bandied about; I also hear that hipsters are annoying. My high school aged son tried to explain it to me, but he had to give up. He did tell me a few jokes which shed some light:

Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 
A: You wouldn’t know, it’s kind of an obscure number.

Q: How much does a hipster weigh?
A: An instagram. 

Q: How many hipsters can you get into a phone booth? 
A: One, any more and it would be too mainstream. 

Plus this: Two hipsters walk into a bar. The first one did it before it was cool, and the second one did it ironically. 

Ok

Where does that leave me who loves funky old dives and walked into a bar (without irony or an ID) way before most hipsters were born? Now that I think about it, I must have waded through crowds of hipsters in the front bar at the Quarry House Saturday nights on my way to the back room where the bands play. Oh, and good news on that front- I saw Jackie a few weeks ago, and she is confident the Quarry House will reopen in its original digs. In the meantime the bar life is malingering across Georgia Avenue at the now defunct Pirate Bar. And the music? The Saturday night music scene has temporarily shifted to Hank Dietles on the Pike- not a place hipsters are likely to stumble upon, but definitely the spot for the motley crew of musicians I know and love.

Look for Marshall Keith (ex Slickee) and Ubangis up to bat this Saturday. Definitely hip not square.


















ffff

No comments:

Post a Comment