Thursday, July 19, 2018

Confessions of a Summer Slug


Summer may bring warm days full of flowers, and the temptation to go barefoot, but stepping on a slug is one of life's cruel little jokes. First they squish and then, like a bad sci-fi movie,  they adhere to to your skin. Ugh. I remember a backyard party long ago when my friend Dan and I were beating the heat of that extra warm night by sitting with our feet in a kiddie pool with cold beers at hand. We should have known better. 

By the time we became aware of the invasion,  at least a dozen slugs were sliming over the walls of the pool and one was happily attached to Dan's Budweiser. He screamed like a girl, and I'm pretty sure I was shrieking right along with him as we scrambled to evacuate.

Many moons later,  from the relative safety of my desk,  I realize the time has come to look for middle ground. I realize, if I look hard enough, that I have several things in common with Mister Slug. We're both mostly made of water, and we both like gardens, malted beverages and going out at night. I do have a few qualms about their sex life which, like a lot of things in Mollusk World, is not for the feint of heart.  But, just like humans, it's complicated. Embrace your inner gastropod and slime step out with me this weekend.  Saturday night is jam packed with shows including the irrepressible Tom Clifford working his show with King Soul at Villain and Saint
For those in the mood for something completely different check out Herschel Hoover, Death House Blues, Fake Bodies and A Very Special Episode. Yes, that's right, four bands, one club- all at Slash Run.



In other news, our friend Mary Battiata has a choice slot opening up for Ray Wylie Hubbard at DC's newest venue City Winery where you can get a "barstool" ticket for $22 which squeaks by as far as the DC ROCKS' price range goes.

And for those of you near Takoma Park- a ramble down the hill into the holler will bring you to Goin Goin Gone at the Takoma VFW in Hell's Bottom. Definitely a bargain to be had here both music and bar wise. 









No comments:

Post a Comment