Thursday, March 28, 2019

Play Ball


Since today is Opening Day for the Nats, I have a story about both music and baseball. Last spring I met Hank Thomas at a tribute to Billy Hancock.  We must have crossed paths in the past. Hank used to manage Poseurs and the Psyche Delly. We had a brief conversation, but what with Washington being the small town that it is, I soon realized that our grandfathers were acquainted with each other.  I even have a letter from his grandfather to mine and an old photograph of the two of them moldering away in a family album.


I don't know how Roger Calvert met Walter Johnson, but I'm sure he was fan. Walter Johnson played ball for the Senators for 21 years back in the day when your home team actually meant something, and players weren't traded away like baseball cards. I also learned a lot about Walter Johnson from Jake Flack's song "Big Train" which should be on every baseball fan's play list.

As far as music this weekend Friday there's a free rockabilly show with the Flea Bops and Aaron LeBeau at the Pie Shop on H St NE. This might be my new favorite venue. Great sound, a nice space both indoors and roof top, and PIE! Also on Friday,  Crooks and Crows are honky tonkin' at the Takoma VFW which is always a fun place


The Cherry People are at Jammin' Java. Yes, The Cherry People. I had to read that twice myself. The Cherry People were a local sensation during the swinging sixties and seventies of the last century. This performance is billed as a final show with original players Chris and Doug Grimes and Jan Zukowski. 

And on Sunday you can catch King Soul livening things up after the game at the Bull Pen.  A very cool way to finish off the weekend with both baseball and music.


No comments:

Post a Comment