Wednesday, January 8, 2020

All Summer in a Winter Day



This week I felt like I was living in a science fiction kind of world. Last Saturday my son asked me if we were about to have World War Three because of all the memes he was seeing on social media. And despite a bit of snow yesterday, this winter isn't really acting like winter. There's a climate changing vibe in the air.

I remember a teacher long ago reading aloud a Ray Bradbury story. I always loved it when the teachers read to us. It was the best part of a school day, but that story always haunted me. It was about a rainy planet where the sun made very rare appearances. Children were eagerly waiting in a classroom, about to see the sun for the first time, but for some reason, they locked one girl in a closet, and she missed it.

That's all I remember, but since we live in futuristic times I can plug in the words "Ray Bradbury" and "rainy planet" and up pops "All Summer in a Day." Complete and online. Hit the link, and we can read it together right now.

Guess what? The reason they locked her in a closet was because she was different from the rest of them. She was from Earth.

I love Ray Bradbury, but he can often be disquieting which is why I turn to exuberant noise with little or no cover charge  when I am feeling disheartened, and often I find this kind of thing goes on in taverns. For example The Rhodes Tavern Troubadours are back in full swing at the Takoma VFW tomorrow evening with cheap drinks at the cash bar and early sets 7ish-10 pm sharp.

On Friday kick off the carnival season (which began on Monday) with Little Red and the Renegades at Haydees.
Saturday two post punk but still punk style shows compete for attention with Sister Ex and crew at The Ugly Mug 


and Catscan!'s record release party at Slash Run. Let's make some noise!



Almost forgot ...Rock-A-Sonics liven things up at New Deal Cafe also on Saturday...and on Sunday kick back with Jumpin Jupiter at JV- four p.m., late matinee and no cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment