Thursday, October 9, 2008

From Two Women Who Don't Stay Home To Wash Their Hair: Girl Talk


LYN2: Hey what are you doing on Saturday night? I can't wait to see Sister Ex, 7 Door Sedan and Beatnik Flies all in one show at the Velvet Lounge.

LYN1 Yeah-all of them in that tiny space? I love it! You can stand close enough to the bands there to start a revolution or something. On the other hand that new band King Soul is playing at the Surf Club. They need bodies.



LYN2: I wish more people would check out the Surf Club. It's old-school honky tonk feel makes me feel like Patsy Cline.

LYN1: Yep-The Surf Club is great- plenty of room to dance or you can play pool or just chill at the bar. But you can't beat the Velvet Lounge for tiny rock dive intimacy- sort of like those night clubs in old movies except without the cool tables and chairs and waiters and just about everything else.

LYN2: Atmosphere aside, I can't believe how much I look forward to seeing two bands that didn't even exist a year ago-7 Door Sedan and Sister Ex just get better and better. As for the Beatnik Flies, their three decade history has defined my life! I really like their version of the Beatles' "Every Little Thing She Does!"

LYN1: King Soul hasn't been around very long either although all of their members have been in or are still in a ton of bands like Chris Watling from The Grandsons or Jake Flack of the RTTS-speaking of which The Troubadours will be there, too, and they don't play out much anymore. 

LYN2: I saw King Soul at the Takoma Street Festival, and it was a wall of talent and fun. As for the Rhodes Tavern Troubadours- it will pain me to miss that. They rock.

LYN1: It'll pain me to miss you! 

LYN2: So it sounds like one of us might be in DC and one of us might be in Maryland. Let's meet up for a 2 a.m. breakfast!  

LYN1: Amen.

P.S. We heard VL has made a number of improvements including the bar being open upstairs during the bands. Links to all the bands and bars mentioned above can be found in the sidebar of DC ROCKS. 

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, Lyns, and to be honest I feel a tad guilty about it...I mean, if only we weren't so darned good, you know? Then your decision would be that much easier. But, alas, we are good and alas, we are playing at the Velvet Lounge and not anywhere else. As The Firesign Theatre put it so eloquently back in the 1900's, how can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all? Kind of like seeing Joel Grey and the Grateful Dead in the same evening. It has been done, but the next morning? Whowee! Let me say that it took a LOT of coffee just to be able to finish the morning crossword puzzle.

    Ken "Doll" Moss, Seven Door Sedan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world consists of two kinds of people: those who can quote Firesign Theater and those who can not. Lyn2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't crush that quote, hand me the pliers.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete