Thursday, October 30, 2008

On Philvis, Lester Bangs, Frank Zappa and Decorating


A few years ago, inspired by a particularly hot Rhodes Tavern Troubadours show, I announced that I would write about them in the style of Lester Bangs, who some call the first “modern” rock critic. I even reread the Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung collection. Truth be told, there’s no way I can imitate Lester but the project g0t me wanting to write.

A recent New York Times article on teaching uses a line attributed to Bangs in the movie Almost Famous to suggest a way to reach the student: “The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you are uncool.” Bangs could be irreverent and even downright hostile. (Check out his famous piece on Lou Reed’s Berlin.) I've always loved his sentimental undercurrent.

When I think about how much I like going to see our local bands, some of them repeatedly, it's a bit uncool, or at least obsessive. It’s like watching Buffy reruns, spending 17 hours learning how to do SuDoKu puzzles or reading the whole article about the discovery of dark matter. You know it’s uncool, but it sure makes you feel better. More so if you are geeking out with someone else.

That’s why I’ll be out to see Puptent , Beatnik Flies and Ottley at Surf Club Live this Saturday, even though I have seen them all before. Lots. Consult previous DC ROCKS posts for details. Call me uncool, but these are bands which will rearrange your psyche, and they are people you will be glad to share it with.

It’s also the birthday celebration for Phil “Philvis” Duarte of Puptent, my buddy since college and partner in noise therapy. I found a Frank Zappa line on a beer bottle the other day: “Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.” I've been decorating with Phil for a long time, and when I see a picture of us decades ago, I think how lucky we are to have people to share the uncool with, and plenty of decorating to do. This Saturday, at the last great honky tonk and newly reborn Surf Club Live, the spirits of Lester Bangs and Frank Zappa will be haunting.


Lyn2

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how touching. I feel honored. Come on out and party with us. The geeks shall inherit the Earth!
    Phil

    ReplyDelete