Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Another Reason Why DC Rocks


George Pelecanos is a guy who knows D.C. He grew up here, hung out here, and he has the gift to take what he knows and competently spin it into stories. He doesn't write about those transient types that tend to come and go every four years or so. His books are more likely to be set on Lamont Street than Pennsylvania Avenue. His characters come from cops, sales men and street wise types-the real grit and glue that hold DC together. (or try to tear it apart)
And he is very, very good at it. My favorite The Big Blowdown was set in DC in the 1940s. I gave it to my father who excitedly recognized old haunts, and passed it on. Then my copy disappeared somewhere amongst my cousins, but I still remember the story.

This Thursday evening George will be signing books and reading from his newest The Way Home starting at 7 p.m. at Politics and Prose- a full service and independent book store/ cafe.

1 comment:

  1. Pelecanos books and work on The Wire - one of those things that makes you DC proud.

    Lyn2

    ReplyDelete