Saturday, July 2, 2011

You Can’t Go Back and You Can’t Stand Still by Lynn Thorp


my daughter nicole carrying the flame
Everybody keeps asking me if I’m sad that DC’s legendary Slickee Boys are playing their last reunion show this Sunday. Surely I will miss these annual-or-so reunions of great friends, but I’m not aware of any other local band who has retired and then entertained us at least yearly for twenty years so it’s hard to complain. Also, I’m not one for living in the past, and DC provides plenty of proof that when one door closes another one will always open. All the musicians who’ve played in the Slickee Boys have and will continue to make great new music. I was thinking about this recently when 7 Door Sedan played at DC 9. Here you’ve got a band full of talent who have all played a role in DC music history but this band isn’t on a nostalgia trip. It’s new and fresh, and it’s about DC now. Check out Ft. Reno on Mondays and Thursdays this summer, and you’ll see there’s no shortage of new music around here.

A buzz of loss reverberated in some of my circles lately when Garrett’s closed, a bar and restaurant well-known since 1979 for its friendly local ambiance in the heart of Georgetown. Garrett’s was the site of many momentous occasions in my life, but I’m just hoping that many more pleasant memories are made sampling the new places that DC has to offer. There’s great food galore, interesting spaces and even homegrown beer! Here’s my plug for the first on the scene – DC Brau – whose Public Ale should become the everyday go-to beer for all of you of the beer-liking persuasion.

DC’s ushering in a new age built on the old one. Don’t forget that the heart and soul of this city is still being ably nurtured at Ben’s Chili Bowl, and that Chuck Brown did two shows in one day recently. The wheel is turning and the beat goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment