Thursday, September 14, 2017

How We Get Our Rocks Off


I'm not a fan of stadium rock. These arenas are fine for people who like to watch other people chase a ball around, but jumbo-trons just don't cut it for me. If I have to look at a screen to catch a glimpse of the band I just forked over a pile of money to see, well, you know what I'm thinking?
I'm thinking I've got a screen of my own.
Plus I'm not good about sitting in my assigned seat.

When I saw the Stones at the Cap Centre a long long time ago, I ended up sitting on the stairs for most of the show with my am around an over-served companion. We were somewhere up near the roof as I recall, while Mick Jagger strutted around on stage in a sparkly white get-up, looking about two inches high from my point of view.  A memorable night, but not necessarily for the music.

But why wait for the Stones?  This Saturday at the Hamilton, Newmyer Flyer presents a gaggle of local musicians recreating the sounds of "Sticky Fingers" and Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedos." Both albums will be played in their entirety, and you could probably meet some of those talented players in real size at the bar. (And there are choices between table seats and wandering around the bar area tickets for the restless.) Beware these shows can and do sell out.

Sunday night David Kitchen will unveil his new EP at JV's out in the wilds of Falls Church. David plays constantly with the Thrillbillys and the David Kitchen band, and he's even on the Hamilton gig mentioned above. He has got the guitar playing /singing thing down, but he rarely plays his own most excellent music.  Truly an original. Show starts at 8:30. Don't be late.


Speaking of screens at home check out "Rocks Off" accompanied by this Super 8 street scene montage of the Stones from 1971. An "Exile on Main Street" time capsule.

No comments:

Post a Comment