Thursday, June 28, 2018

Summer Distractions Like Camp and Other Things



Little Feat had quite the cult following here in DC back in the day, and my friends at WHFS got us all whipped up into a frenzy whenever they came to town. Much of the album "Waiting for Columbus" was recorded live at the Lisner in 1977- probably because of all the enthusiasm. (I wonder if we trashed the place because it doesn't seem like they have rock concerts like that there anymore.) Two short years later, on June 29, 1979, Lowell George died after playing a concert at the same hall.  He was only 34.

I remember that summer.  I was working in the stable of a somewhat downtrodden camp in the wilds of Mitchellville, Maryland. We had sixteen horses and ponies to look after with names like "Champ," "Red" and "Buck." After the news broke, I promptly renamed "Taffy," one of my favorite ponies, and made all of the kids call him Lowell. I don't have a picture of him, but above you can see my comrades hanging around the barn.

This Friday the Newmyer Flyer crew will bring back some of those memories with A Tribute to Little Feat Tribute at Bethesda Blues and Jazz.


On Saturday- Lunch with Bob takes its old school scene over to JV in Virginia on the self proclaimed "Let's Get Drunk and Be Somebody" tour while The Split Seconds celebrate their new release with a high energy party at the Back Room of the Black Cat. Opening bands include Canker Blossoms and Board Room Heroes. (Gotta love that name. )



No comments:

Post a Comment