Thursday, December 13, 2018

Jangled Bells


Today is Thursday December 13th. I am saying this out loud as I need to remind myself of all the things I should be doing and need to do between now and you know when besides watching The Great Rupert. (Maybe not such a great movie, but have you ever seen a squirrel do a jig?) A lot of my friends are making lists which I think is a great idea.  Here's mine:

Make a list!

I don't know why I am feeling especially scattered this year although I did make it to the Holiday Market last night. Have you noticed all those white tents looking like Lawrence of Arabia and his entourage have settled in downtown?  Heat lamps, hot things to drink and live music make this shopping experience completely pleasant.


And no need to subject yourself to a shopping mall when the real zoo is open every evening 5-9 p.m. All decked out for the holidays with live music, too.


 Don't forget to buy cigarettes for all the smokers on your list! Is that a duck on his desk?


Speaking of ducks, get yours in a row by patronizing our very local Sullivan's Toys and Art Supplies on Wisconsin Avenue NW. Still in business since 1954, despite all three of my children having worked there at some point.


Which reminds me, Martin's Tavern in Georgetown is a great place to take kids of all ages for a dose of Christmas kitsch. They really go crazy with the decking of halls, and the bartenders are top notch.



Where was I?

Oh yes. Tonight The Rhodes Tavern Troubadours play the Takoma VFW which is an excellent way to take your mind off your list as well as what day of the week it is. Plenty of free parking and cut rate drink prices make this scene a party every time.

Friday The Black Muddy River Band will wake the Dead at El Golfo where, the last time I was there, the $5 cover converts to a free margarita. 

And Saturday night The Thrillbillys will be rocking the New Deal Cafe while the Daryl Davis Band gets the dance groove on at Glen Echo's Spanish Ballroom.  



No comments:

Post a Comment