Thursday, December 20, 2018

The Day I Visited Santa


I am feeling a bit nostalgic what with Christmas right around the corner although "the day I visited Santa" was not a favorite memory. See how my arm is crooked? I didn't want to touch that weird old guy's arm much less sit on his lap, but once I got over my fear of Christmas, life improved.

Driving up Wisconsin Avenue to hit up that one stop shopping mecca we call Rodman's, I pass my grandparents' house on Upton Street. We used to have our Christmas dinner there, back when trees looked like this.


We would eat in the dining room with card tables extending into the living room, and after dinner there might be presents and unfortunate photographs.


Back in my younger days, we roamed the city looking for art, music and a tribe, and we found it all at dc space and 9:30. Christmas parties back then looked like this.


And here's my buddy Art under the mistletoe in 1987.


Back to the present,  I am proud to report that local drummer Ray Brown of Snail Mail  has a sell out show at the 9:30 Club this Friday. You may remember Ray as the bass player in a very young and truly talented punk rock band called The Black Sparks.  

Congratulations, Ray.


For us slightly older folks Justin Jones holds forth at DC9 while The Delarcos are at Dangerous Pies. Both on Friday.


Saturday choose from vintage rockers Lunch with Bob (with Ratso!) at the Takoma VFW or the more electronic slanted rock brought to you by Color Pallette at the Black Cat's Backstage


The Messthetics - a super trio featuring Brendan Canty, Joe Lally (both of Fugazi) and guitar slinger Anthony Pirogue- are also at Black Cat 's Back Stage with their very cool prog rock project on Sunday. The Back Stage and the club's entire first floor including the Red Room bar and Food For Thought will be closing at the end of the month so if you are feeling nostalgic, check out the schedule and make your pilgrimage while you still can.






No comments:

Post a Comment