Thursday, July 18, 2019

Over the Moon


I almost missed the lunar landing that Saturday afternoon in July 1969 because I was too busy playing outside. My mother had to yell at me to come in.  I didn't understand why everyone was making such a big fuss watching grainy footage of spacemen on TV. I knew that Bugs Bunny had already been to the moon and back, and what about "My Favorite Martian?" My mother informed me that "this was history." 




OK. I get it now. And I think it's pretty groovy that Apollo 11 will be recreated via a space age projection on the Washington Monument tonight and every evening through Saturday. 

For another cool scene on what promises to be miserably muggy evenings, I suggest Fort Reno at the top of DC tonight or DOGO at Lubber Run on Friday. (Man, if these bands can get out there and make music in this weather, the least we can do is rally up a bit of energy to watch them.)




Inside with AC, we have The Thrillbillys back at JV's with a newly bionic Johnny Castle. (Congratulations, JC), plus Wailin' Storms, Bound and Tone are making things happen at The Pie Shop- an excellent place to see bands by the by. Both shows are tonight.



The Skip Castro Band (now there's a rocket ship blast from the past) rock Jammin Java on Friday, and the Rock-A-Sonics tear up the New Deal Cafe on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment