Wednesday, July 10, 2019

When the Rain Comes


Weird is the best way to describe a day that lost its light as the morning went on, almost as if the sun was setting just a few hours after rising. I felt compelled to turn on a lamp as the gloom descended.  Then the rain began.  At first I was relieved by the cool air coming through my window, but a short time later,  I heard sirens. This was the eerie scene down on Canal Road- not too far from my house.



Meanwhile my basement took on water which was not nearly as dramatic as other footage around town, but as quickly as the storm came, it moved on.  Fort Reno's first concert happened that same evening. People rallied here at the top of DC although tarps were de rigueur beneath the picnic blankets.


While I bailed out the basement, I celebrated the return of El Sol with a little K.C. and the Sunshine band. This cheerful little time capsule is also good for whatever angst is eating away at your soul.


The weather may or may not hold for all of the free outdoor shows this weekend, but there is much to choose from with another Fort Reno concert on Thursday,  featuring The Norms, The Osyx and Dirt Eater.  The Nighthawks rock Wheaton Veteran's Park on Friday, and King Soul will shake things loose at Lubber Run on Saturday. And don't forget the Capital Fringe Fest is going on for the next two weeks.

Rain checks indoors include The Rhodes Troubadours Troubadours at the Takoma VFW on Thursday and the Newmeyer Flyer Soul Tribute extravaganza at City Winery on Friday.









No comments:

Post a Comment