Thursday, October 31, 2019

Trick or Teeth


Halloween is usually one of my favorite days of the year, but today I woke up filled with dread. I had an appointment with the dentist.

After spending a terrifying and tortuous forty-five minutes getting my teeth cleaned, I would like to send out a big thank you to Brian Eno who got me through the worst bits which felt more like dental extraction than hygiene. The tiny masked sadist who waged war upon my gums was armed with razor sharp objects, but I, open mouthed and ear plugged, dis-engaged from her torment with my small but mighty iPod blasting “Here Come the Warm Jets."  The perfect sound track with occasional distracting plinks of a seemingly random piano kept me in the chair and off the ceiling. 

I escaped with my life only to walk down a dreary K Street devoid of any indication of Halloween pending or the Nats' splendiferous World Series triumph last night which is why people get a bad impression of this town. So drab and buttoned up. That's not us!!! Georgetown still celebrates Halloween with a crazy street party which should be especially exciting this year due to the stormy forecast, and The Thrillbillys will be carrying on at JVs while Go Mod Go and Apollo 66 rock the Pie Shop.



Here's November's calendar of amusements and musical distractions... A list which is always incomplete so please step up all my fellow freaks and dentophobes and write me with your hyper-local suggestions:

2

Billy Price /Shirletta Settles /Jodse Ramirez /Afterdark Fundraiser @ Pearl Street Warehouse

3

Los Straightjackets @ Pearl Street

5

Robert Gordon w Chris Spedding/ Jumpin Jupiter@ City Winery

8

Ruthie and the Wranglers @ JV

Eric Brace and Peter Cooper @ Jammin Java

8-10

Mary Chapin Carpenter @ Birchmere

9

Last Waltz Tribute @ The Hamilton

9-11

Punk the Capital Screenings w/ special guests @ AFI

14

RTTs @ Takoma VFW

17

Azalea City CD Release Party @ El Golfo

23

Billy Coulter Band @ New Deal

30

Little Red and Renegades @New Deal




No comments:

Post a Comment