Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Something Old and Something New





Last week within 48 hours I saw two shows that had almost nothing in common except that Philvis and I were there - the old and the new . My favorite event of the year - Thievery Corporation's 5 -day run at the 9:30 Club - commenced last Wednesday and we caught the Thursday show. On Saturday, Philvis had won tickets to Cheap Trick at Ramshead Live in Baltimore.

Though Thievery Corporation started in 1995, it's fair to call them new compared to Cheap Trick, whose first wave of fame was nearly 40 years ago. I repeat myselfwhen I say that the Corporation is one of DC's greatest gifts to the world of amusement, along with the half-smoke and Chuck Brown. They could only happen here, but they're hugely popular in many parts of the world. For those not familiar with their sound, their empire and their history it's worth exploring.

Cheap Trick rocked more than I expected, and I'm quite taken with "Closer" on their new record, which sounds like Bad Finger the Nuggets collections wrapped up together. Baltimore's Power Plant Live, where Ramshead Live is located, is Disney World for night-life. You get carded at a gate to a complex of bars and clubs. I'm not sure it's my kind of place but I'm glad I got to witness it.

Lyn2

No comments:

Post a Comment