Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Tale of the Old Dirty Thirty




Here's the contest winner for the DC Funk/Punk show tickets at 9:30 on Sunday from a fan who wishes to remain anonymous:


"The first time I went to the 9:30 Club sometime in the 1977 or 1978, it was actually a place called The Atlantis. A very makeshift "rock/punk" venue run by a middle aged, pot-bellied, balding guy (from what I could tell) that seemed unlikely to be a fan of the music he was hosting. Nevertheless it was a music space and I was able to gain entry and drink (at age 15 or 16) with a borrowed Massachusetts driver's license that had no photo. I only went to 3 or 4 shows before it closed, and I wasn't surprised that it hadn't lasted very long. However, it obviously planted the seed for the 9:30 Club which opened in the space with more serious intention to be a club. I remember my teenage brain thinking that the new club was too mainstream, and it's real purpose was to cash in on folks wanting to rough it downtown in a semi-ghostland filled with wig and shoe shops.  I obviously got over that. 

One of the first concerts I remember going to at the "new" 9:30 Club, (now known as the old 9:30 Club at 930 F St) was Ultravox with the Police as the opening act. This was around 1979 or 1980. I saw maybe one and half songs by the Police and remember thinking the band made a pretty big sound for three guys. Then something I had ingested a bit earlier in the evening suddenly made it necessary to barricade myself in the girl's bathroom. I was sick for the rest of the night. At that time, there was only a single toilet down in the basement, before the coat check room existed. I missed the entire Ultravox set, and I want to take this chance to say I'm sorry to all that needed the bathroom that night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment