Saturday, June 1, 2019

Old School Things


June brings the end of the school year which reminds me of my own high school graduation and long ago salad days from the 1970s. Fortunately I have journals to refresh my memory and tell me that  I called my boyfriend from pay phones outside of Little Tavern or Tastee Diner.  I saw people getting arrested at a smoke-in in Georgetown. I watched Harbison, Bond and Goddard play at Babe's on Wisconsin Avenue and went across the street to the Pour House Pub to play pinball.

That year graduation dinners happened at Martin's or Luigi's and live bands like Reunion and Fancy Colours played our dances. Carousel played my prom, but I didn't get there until midnight because I was going out with a guitar player which was a truly a dumbass thing to do in high school. I should have gone out with that nice kid, the one who was my own age and wouldn't leave me home watching Saturday Night Live on the weekends

I got over that guitar player eons ago,  but never the music. Here's a few things to think about for June 2019 and please write with more suggestions if you've got 'em:

JUNE BUG DAYS

1

Apollo 66/ Tru Fax/Sister Ex @ Silver Spring American Legion

6

Thrillbillys @ JV

7

Billy Price Band @ Jammin Java

Euphonx @ Slash Run

9

Johnny Neel / Dave Chappell @ JV

Suga Grits @ Villain and Saint

13

Rhodes Tavern Troubadours @ Takoma VFW

15 

Valentine Slim @ Rockville Moose Lodge

20

Skydiver/ Collider/ Duskwhales @ Pie Shop

David Kitchen @ JV

21

Teen Mortgage/ Menage a Garage/ Liquid TV @ Comet Ping Pong

22

Goin Goin Gone @ Villain and Saint 4 pm

24

Don Zientara @ Galaxy Hut

25

Sol Roots @ JV

27

Dave Chappell  Band @ JV

29

Punk the Capitol @ AFI

Beanstalk Library/Nitepool @ Pie Shop

Laurel Canyon Tribute @ Birchmere

30 

dc space lecture @ National Gallery of Art 2 pm

Fuzz Queen/ Kosari @ Galaxy Hut








No comments:

Post a Comment