Monday, October 19, 2009

On 2 Washingtons and A Radio

(photo by birdman9)

Recently I visited Seattle and Olympia in the other Washington so I could get more chummy with this part of the world, since my daughter lives there for school, and it's likely my son will head out there too. It must be the cosmic draw of a place called Washington that has its own Mt. Rainier which is also where we live now. I think few know that both Mt. Rainier and Takoma Park, MD were surveyed by guys from Seattle in the late 19th century, who named them after familiar places back west.

Luckily, when I was there, the region experienced an unprecedented week of sun and warmth so I experienced a particularly glorious visit, and, for a die-hard east coast girl, I liked it a lot. A highlight in Seattle was riding by the office of one of my favorite radio stations - KEXP. While streaming live is great any time, I'm a big fan of DJ Michele Myers who is on air Saturdays from 6-9 p.m. our time.

When I got back home, I found out that our own WRNR can be heard on-line. They play a huge variety of stuff, and now I don't have to wait until I'm driving to Bowie or the beach or the occasional rainy day when the signal carries here to our neighborhood.

Speaking of alternate homes, I'm smitten with WFMU from New York - Jersey City really - where I haven't lived, but keep thinking I might. Thanks to Lisa Shenouda for introducing me to The Best Show on WFMU.

So while there's no place like home here in DC, there are a lot of cool places to visit and internet radio can link you up wherever you are.

Lyn2

No comments:

Post a Comment