Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Wake Up Washington

Photo by John Askew

You missed it. I know you missed it because only a handful of people made it to Iota last night, and that handful got an unforgettable show brought to us by an unbelievably good band.

I saw Susan Cowsill on a rainy evening some eight years ago in New Orleans. I remember it well because I really didn't want to go out that night, but after I saw the band, I didn't want to go home. (And thank you, Kiki for making it happen.) A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then- literally- and Susan and her band survived the Flood, and I don't use that term lightly. What happened to New Orleans and its people is a tragic story still unfolding and still mostly untold, but Susan has written songs that capture both the heavy grief and the absolute joy of that amazing city she calls home.

I didn't write about this show because this is not a DC band, but after last night, I think they qualify for the New Orleans Austin DC triangle I was talking about a couple of weeks ago-especially considering DC's adopted son and guitar ace, Bill Kirchen and long time native, Mark Noone ended up on stage.

My advice: Don't ever miss this band!

No comments:

Post a Comment