Friday, July 26, 2013

DC Rocks' Garden Report and Dad's Summer Sandwich


I heard about this sandwich on the radio. It's a finalist in NPR's "Taste of Summer Contest," and the description sounded so good I had to give it a try.  Thanks to buckets of rain in July, my garden here in Washington is holding its own this year, so I had cucumbers and tomatoes ready to go on the counter, and an onion and cheese nearby. And peanut butter. Yes, crunchy peanut butter to be exact. That threw me I have to admit, but I followed the recipe exactly, having heard the stacking order makes all the difference, and yes, it's a dang good sandwich.

I still think it's a little weird, but since I have the luxury of lots of tomatoes and cukes,  I'm going to try it again today with almond butter. (although cucumber mint alcoholic concoctions are working for me, too.) Here's the recipe, but check the link above for the whole story.


4-6 thin slices white sharp cheddar cheese
Tomato, thinly sliced
Cucumber, thinly sliced
Vidalia or red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
2 slices whole grain bread
Layer the ingredients in the order given; eat with the cheese layer on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment