There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, April 17, 2014

DC You Really Got Me


photo by John Penovitch

DC is my home town, but it is changing so fast it astounds me. Sometimes I feel a bit lost wandering around, gawking at all the new brew pubs and eateries springing up like dandelions. I know I lean towards nostalgia,  but I do try to embrace the changes which are revitalizing so many neighborhoods.  I also fall back on old haunts. Eating a fried fish sandwich on the hood of a car, one block off H Street Northeast was not something I'd recommend 10 years ago, but recently I did just that. (And just one warning about that: one fish sandwich from Horace and Dickey's will feed a family of four-even if that family includes 3 musicians and an inebriated writer.)

When looking over my shoulder, I often recommend Walt Whitman's spin-off band- the Vi-Kings for a hit of nostalgia. Lately they lost a band member way too early, but as my friend Bill Petsche recently reminded me- though we can't change the direction of the wind, we can adjust our sails. Please come out and support the Vi-Kings - sailing on this Saturday night at Clyde's in Chevy Chase.





No comments:

Post a Comment