Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Sky Is Falling in Washington

Here in DC it's hard to get away from the news. Our local PBS radio stations rolled over from bluegrass and classical music to all day talk years ago. The stock market is in a free fall, a possible Depression looms, and, in what may be the greatest back firing move in political history, we have a vice presidential candidate - chosen for her gender, not her expertise. (I think the real key to her limited success so far is her ability to complete a full sentence unlike the guy in office. People just aren't used to that anymore- never mind that she has nothing presidential to say.)
But DC Rocks tries to avoid all that political noise in an effort to promote music over false promises.

Writing a blog started out as a tentative foray into cyberspace for me- an exercise to get myself back into writing and to try out this new venue. I began by producing stories about my DC family history and called that project Washington, DC- My Hometown. That was going well, but my sister copied all the postings and gave them to my parents. Nothing wrong with that, but being true to myself-I soon felt the need to sneak off and start another one just for me. So DC ROCKS was born. (a title blatantly stolen from Ian Hunter's "Cleveland Rocks")

Even though the title was pointing me exactly towards what I would write about- I THOUGHT I was  going to write about whatever happened to be stumbling through my brain at any given moment as a DC resident. Soon however- like a Ouija move- the local rock scene took over my mouse, and the blog took on a life of its own.

The same can not be said of The DC Hometown blog which frankly lost its will to live when my father died. I didn't want to see it go, so I pondered how to keep this thing alive, and "with a little help from my friends" (plus nagging) (there's that music thing again) the blog is about to be reborn and expanded to include all sorts of guest writers. Both natives- or gone native types. There won't be much about politics, but there will be all kinds of stories about growing up here to take our minds off the Other Washington. 

No comments:

Post a Comment