Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Earth Day Stuff


It's Earth Day, and I am reminded of how far Washington has come since I was a kid growing up here. A couple of weeks ago a bald eagle flew overhead, and my kids thought I was loopy for yelling my head off. Look! An eagle! A bald eagle!  In the 1960s, the only eagle I knew that was still alive and kicking was living the low life in the National Zoo. In a cage. Now I see them flying by and caught this one outstanding in his field (haha) on the way to the beach a few years  ago.



 In the 1990s recycling in the District was suspended. We had to hire our own contractors block by block, but now The District has imposed mandatory recycling on businesses, and we have super sized cans to hold all our output.
( Little bin courtesy of Sharon Pratt Kelly way back when)
We recycle glass, paper and plastic. Even those big hideous yard toys and chairs. And yet why is there still so much stuff in my house? I spend at least a half hour a day just moving crap around. I spent last week filling a dumpster with a friend's lifetime achievement of clutter. In honor of  Earth Day, I'm putting up a link to a little movie my forward thinking friend Karen Simpson turned me onto years ago. Check out the The Story of Stuff. If you have already seen it, poke around the web site for new ideas and solutions. I heard on the news the other day that some environmental laws aren't worth the cost. So that got me wondering. Just what planet are we going to live on? Mars?
I kind of like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment